On the latest episode of the Pastor Matters podcast, Growing and Improving in Preaching, I encouraged pastors to grow in their preaching by reading at least one preaching book per year. One book mentioned on the podcast is Christ-Centered Preaching by Bryan Chapell. Additionally, I want to provide our listeners with a list of recommended preaching books. Several years ago, I asked our preaching faculty at Southeastern Seminary to give me some books on preaching they would want preachers to read, and here are the top five from that list:
- Between Two Worlds by John Stott
- Preaching and Preachers by Martyn Lloyd-Jones
- The Supremacy of God in Preaching by John Piper
- Engaging Exposition by Daniel Akin, Bill Curtis, and Stephen Rummage
- Power in the Pulpit by Jerry Vines and Jim Shaddix
I hope this list of resources is helpful to you. Let us know what books you’d add to the list.
MDiv Preaching and Pastoral Ministry
The Preaching and Pastoral Ministry track prepares students for pastoral ministry in the local church with a special emphasis on expository preaching.